September 2019 - April 2020
Design Workshop with Adam Rallo
The final culminating project of my Bachelor of Design degree involved developing a thesis in which I conducted primary and secondary research on a topic, and then developed a design solution accordingly.
As someone who is passionate about emerging technologies, I chose a topic that addresses the social impacts that come with artificial intelligence as these systems have the power to impact a wide range of people.
The goal of this project was to explore the limits of data visualization through the implementation of speculative design.
IDENTIFYING THE PROBLEM
As emerging technologies such as artificial intelligence continue to be implemented in society, algorithms are becoming more and more prominent in our daily lives. These algorithms have the power to make decisions based on data, and potential biases may result in unfair outcomes that favour a certain group over others.
An informative website that educates users about the dangers of a world run by machine learning. It brings attention to algorithmic biases in AI technologies, and provides ethical toolkits for those that design and develop these sytems to use in their current and future projects.
A quote that stuck with me from when I began this project to when I completed it is "the most important thing about a technology is how it changes people", which was said by Jaron Lanier. In truth, the need for governance in the technologies we implement into society has never been so important, and for this reason, I wanted my project to address this situation.
Overall, this was an incredible learning experience that involved a lot of self-direction and constant research in order to effeciently develop an informative website. Given that this project took two semesters, there were several critiques, changes, and roadbumps (aka the pandemic) that I encountered. I would say the main revisions included changing my design deliverable from an interactive exhibition to an informative website, finalizing a high fidelity prototype on Figma rather than continuing to develop it on Webflow, and enhancing the visual language of the type and imagery that is seen throughout the website.
My next steps include animating the entire website (similar to how I had it when I built the first prototype on Webflow) and to code it myself using suitable frameworks. If you're interested in seeing my process as to how I got to the final design, shoot me a message — I'd love to chat about it!
* Due to the file size, the images on the Figma document are embedded.